Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SNICKERY SQUARES




The recipe pick this week for TWD was tradtional Madeleines. I don't own a Madeleine pan and really didn't want to buy a pan that was for something so specific so I decided to make snickery squares.
First I had to make dulce de leche. Usually when a cookbook claims you can find an ingredient at your supermarket or local ethnic market, you won't find it here. So I bought two cans of sweetened condensed milk, covered them with water and simmered away for three hours. It worked!
The next morning I set about making the squares propping the children in front of the tv for Madagascar. I've tried making carmel this way before and it hasn't worked. The sugar has never turned back to carmel for me. It just stays crystalized so I was pretty skeptical and I'm not sure if this was how the peanuts were supposed to look. I was expecting something more like peanut brittle. I also am not sure if I should have simmered the condensed milk a little longer because the squares didn't really set up. The dulce de leche oozes out. They are very delicious though.

7 comments:

CB said...

I remember those snickery squares. They were SO good. Great pick!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Jayne said...

So many people made these snickery squares. They sound really good!

Sarah said...

WOW!! Those look SO GOOD!! Poor Zanna is getting a drool bath because she's sitting underneath me! UMmmm, Snickery Squares! You are such a pro!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Mmmm, these sound good. I'm adding them to my Dorie Rewind list!

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Jaime said...

mine didn't set up really well either, i think i needed to cook it longer. i agree that they are delicious though too :) good job!

Mari said...

I made dulce de leche from scratch when I made these, as well, and mine oozed too. Oozy or not they're still a knock-out and pack a serious sugar rush punch!

LyB said...

There are so many TWD recipes to choose from, and so little time! Those look so delicious. :)