Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Florida Pie



I tried all morning to get this done and my 1 1/2 yr. old just wouldn't leave the buttons and mouse alone.
So anyway, this weeks pick was from Tuesdays With Dorie was Florida Pie. I really like lime and have never had Key Lime pie. I once read in a Cook's Illustrated magazine that the difference in flavor to regular Persian limes isn't really worth juicing the little suckers. And in this little corner of Northwest Montana I would never consider driving all over the valley with two young kids looking for Key Limes.
I don't usually have a lot of success getting juice out of limes. I usually try rolling them around on the counter to soften them up but the first one I tried didn't yeild much at all. I've always heard another way is to warm it in the microwave but I've never tried it. It worked A LOT better. I only had to use four limes.
Also, I got impatient with my first attempt at heating the egg whites and ended up scrambling them. I tried to whip them up anyway but of course it didn't work. I had to separate four more eggs and took it a little slower and it worked great.
Overall, I thought this pie was really good, but if I made it again I would probably leave the coconut out of the meringue. I thought it was a little too much.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

It's always a triumph when you can bake something to completion with two little ones in the vicinity! Good for you!!

Jacob and Elizabeth said...

I think I scrambled my egg whites too, which was my first step towards failure (the second step, the one leading to certain failure, was when I burned the already-flat merengue under the broiler). Yours is pretty. Mines headed for the trash. boo-hoo.

Melissa said...

Even here in CA, it's not always easy to find key limes!

CB said...

Fab tip about microwaving the limes! I'll have to try that next time. Great job on your pie!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Casa Costello said...

Great tip for the limes! Good on you for attempting to cook with a 1 1/2 year old (my 2 year old is just as bad!) Hx

Jaime said...

your kids are cute! great job getting the pie done w/them distracting you :)