Friday, April 25, 2008

chili




So in our house we have a thing about chili. I really like it and my husband (his name is Ross) only likes Nalley out of the can. I find that to be about the most absurd thing I've ever heard and I'm always trying new recipes to persuade him away from this liking. I never works and about three years ago I stopped trying. For some reason when an issue of Cuisine at Home came with a recipe for Italian Chili I decided to try it. It wasn't very good and I ended up putting it in the freezer hoping I would eat it when Ross was away, knowing full well I probably wouldn't.

Well, when I was looking through Baking, From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan I came upon a recipe for Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins I thought to myself, 'what a perfect time to try and get Ross to eat that chili he didn't like'.

Well, the muffins were good but I was frustrated that the paper was stuck to the muffins. But the flavor was really good. Then when I was putting the kids to bed and opened the microwave to warm their milk, there was the butter I had melted and left to cool before putting it in the batter. No wonder. That's what you get for multitasking. "Mamma, I wanna take a bath, mamma, I wanna take a bath, mamma, I wanna take a bath", all the while making dinner and blogging.

So I remade them this morning and they were really good.

And the chili was so much better after sitting in my freezer for two months.

3 comments:

Mama Mia said...

the chili looks great! Your kids are adorable :)

Sarah said...

Randy likes the Nalley chili, too. I think it's fowl and have come to the conclusion that it's the reason why I'm not a big fan of chili. Yours looks really tasty, though, with all the cheese on top!:) Gotta love cheese!
At least you can multitask. I'm impressed when I can walk and drink water at the same time...

Megan said...

I have to laugh, your comments about trying to make dinner, think for yourself all while answering the demands of children are all too familiar to me - my children are 8 and 10 now and it's still the same thing! I started my blog for the same reasons - so my brain doesn't turn to oatmeal!!