Monday, April 21, 2008

Big Bill's Carrot Cake





I really love carrot cake so I was pretty excited when that was the pick this week even though I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with a whole cake without an occasion.


I should have followed my instincts from the beginning because Dorie doesn't say to line the bottoms with parchment and I know better but I tried anyway. Of course I couldn't get it out of the pans. I'll never do that again.


I tried the dried cherries because I think warm plump raisins are foul and I didn't have craisins. The cherries were delicious and a great suggestion made by someone. I acutally thought the cake had too much stuff, not enough spices, and not enough frosting. Definitely not enough to run over the edges like the notes said. I also thought the frosting was too sweet. I was concerned the recipe only called for 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 lb. confectioners sugar.

I'm really excited to be involved with TWD. Next weeks recipe is something I would never consider making. And I'm really glad to start baking and cooking again as I feel my life has only been about children in the last four years.

8 comments:

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

Nice looking cake! I'm sure it tasted good as well.

Bumblebutton said...

Your cake looked great, even though you hoped for more...trusting instincts is often far more useful than following the recipe to the letter! Welcome to the group--it is a whole lot of fun, and you'll find lots of mommies here who understand how it is hard to get out of toddler land!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Welcome to TWD! I've made so many things with this group that I would have passed over. Fun!

Mari said...

Welcome abaord!

Jacob and Elizabeth said...

You look so young in your photo.

Sarah said...

Yummy! I bet Ross enjoyed every bit, it looks so good! But, then again, that's what you get from a pro!:)

Sharon said...

Welcome to TWD. The cake looks great.

Jayne said...

Welcome! Great job on your cake (and your gut instincts)!